Now that I’ve completely destroyed the meaning of the word “plot” for myself I should say that this post is going to have nothing useful to other writers on the subject of plotting a book or anything else like that – for actual advice and helpfulness y’all need to check out Susan Dennard’s website and her page of links to awesome blog posts For Writers because seriously she rocks and I’ve got the page bookmarked to my main toolbar.
This is more just a way for me to journal my writing process over the year so that maybe in another year or two I can look back and rofl myself into a stupor over my naive writer self and her daft assumptions about writing a book for the first time. For funsies and all.
Anywhoooo today I wanted to talk about the fact that I *think* I have the remaining scenes of my first draft plotted out – vaguely. Over the weekend while I was at my parents (and reliving my childhood by visiting Sudbury for like the 7th time) I busted out a crappy A3 pad I bought ages ago and grabbed some marker pens and mapped out about 8 scenes apiece for my two MCs for the middle section between when they meet for the first time and for the second.
It was a bit daft of me to leave the middle until last as by now it’s been nearly 9 months since I wrote the First meeting scene and at least 3 since I wrote the second meeting so my thoughts about certain things and characters may have shifted slightly in that time – not counting the fact that I can be a fucking idiot and just forget I wrote some things – so getting everything to match up is going to be a challenge. One that will probably have to be sorted in the second draft.
So I now have two A3 sheets with my middle section planned out; some of the scenes on there have already been drafted so I really only have 12 scenes to write rather than 16/17 which is a bonus I guess. How long all those are going to end up being, I have no clue as yet. My original estimate of the book being 85,000 words is starting to fall short, it’s looking like 95-100K will be more like a realistic endpoint for this book.
Setting up all the scene cards in my Scrivener project is delightfully fun and it will be even more enjoyable when I get to change the status of all those cards from “To Do” to first draft or something similar once I’ve written the actual scenes. Then once I’ve got all that done I might be able to say I’ve finished the first draft of my novel! *le gasp*
Now that will be exciting. For now I gotta keep chugging away at it and today’s wordcount of 1113 words has been rather lovely and helpful for getting me to a current overall wordcount of around 71.5K *holy shitballs that’s a lotta words* So while the end may be in sight it won’t do to give into complacency now.
But that’s all for now folks. Carry on!